ABOUT VIFF BC SPOTLIGHT
VIFF 2016 features almost 100 films from across Canada, including a strong showing from our home sweet home, British Columbia. With another record number of BC-produced features submitted for consideration, we’re shining a bright spotlight on our amazing homegrown talent with:
- A program of 10 BC feature films.
- A fan-voted Audience Must See Award and Screening at the BC Spotlight event.
- An adjudicated competition with two new cash awards.
- The BC Spotlight Award and a Special Post Festival Red Carpet Screening
All of this is made possible thanks to collaboration and partnerships with local and national film-industry stakeholders. Learn more about BC Spotlight
The #mustseeBC initiative, presented by TELUS Optik Local, empowers filmmakers and their fans to nurture and promote BC film. Launched at VIFF 2013, the Georgia Straight called it “the best cheerleader for the BC film industry” as the campaign generated heaps of views, shares and media coverage.
In advance of the festival, the almost three-week online campaign invites audiences to preview trailers, promote BC filmmakers across social networks and VOTE for their favourite films. The film that gets the most fan votes takes the title "Audience Must-See-Film" and earns a Special Post Festival Red Carpet Screening.
#mustseeBC is aiming to help short filmmakers, musicians and composers connect with their fans beyond the festival. On September 12, 2016, you can see the BC shorts and view our top music leaders. Take the time to see many of BC's top short films.
Congratulations to our 2016 #mustseeBC Winner - Cadence
@VIFFest #mustseeBC #TweetForTickets
From September 14 to 27, fans who Tweet @VIFFest using the #mustseeBC and #TweetForTickets hashtags are automatically entered in daily prize draws for screenings and special events.
The 2016 schedule for daily prize draws are as follows:
- Sept 14: Marrying the Family - @mtf_movie
- Sept 15: Keepers of the Magic - @sepiafilms
- Sept 16: Hello Destroyer - @typeoneent
- Sept 19: Window Horses - @WindowHorses
- Sept 20: Cadence - @CadenceTheFilm
- Sept 21: KONELĪNE: our land beautiful - @Koneline
- Sept 22: Mixed Match - @MixedMatchMovie
- Sept 23: The Unseen - @UnseenFilm
- Sept 26: New Moon Over Tohoku - @newmoontohoku
- Sept 27: Spirit Unforgettable - @sotwfilm